While social media is a great way to communicate with our patients, students, and communities, it requires a good deal of planning and resources to be successful in creating engaging content those audiences want to see.
Social media accounts representing UF Health must be approved by UF Health Communications per UF policy. The following process will help to create a strong foundation for a social media presence that will meet both institutional and audience goals and needs.
Consult with UF Health Communications
- Review UF Health’s guidelines for Social Media accounts (PDF)
- Before filling out the a strategy document, we recommend you meet with your department’s communications specialist and the UF Health social team to discuss your needs and goals for social media. If your department does not have a communications representative, you can contact Web Services directly for a consultation. We’ll be glad to meet with you and discuss how to best promote your content.
Complete a Social Media Strategy document
There are a number of things to consider in starting a new account – what and when you will be posting; how that content meets the goals set with your communications representative and mission; how active you will be on the account to answer questions, and what resources will be devoted to building and maintaining the channel. Use our strategy planning document to help answer those questions (we’ll also ask you to send us a copy of that document in the next step).
- You must complete the planning strategy document in order for UF Health Communications to evaluate your needs.
Provide as much detail as you can.
- Part of the plan requires that you submit a sample social media editorial calendar. This calendar should provide 3-4 weeks of sample content – send us the photos and text content as if you were writing a post on the requested social media account. This calendar is used to evaluate the tone and style of the content and to see if it meets our UF Health voice. As an example of best practices for completing your strategy, please review the following submission: UF Health Social Strategy – Plastic Surgery
- Download the UF Health Social Media Strategy Planning document
Submit a request form
The Social Media Committee will review your request and will follow-up if they have any questions or concerns. After the committee makes its recommendation, the request is also reviewed by several senior communications leaders and then is presented to the Senior Vice President and Chief Communications Officer for approval. This approval process can take several weeks. Please note an incomplete or vague application can cause further delays.